10 Basic Dictionary Headers for Everyday ...

Wed Jan 28 16:22:42 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
January 28, 2004

Sandy Fleming wrote:
> sorry for not producing any results in building a BSL SignWriting
> dictionary - work and BSL courses have been in the way for some months
> now.
> I WILL do this when things quieten down - unless someone else does it
> first

Dear SW List, and Sandy!
Great to hear from you Sandy...I was thinking about you lately and we
have missed you on the List...but I can see you are quite busy! I have
not heard of anyone else doing a BSL dictionary in SignWriting, but
that does not mean it hasn't been done...Because SignWriter is free for
download on the web, I know there are a lot of people using the
program...But a BSL dictionary would be very welcome and as far as I
know yours will be the first....smile...

By the way, here in the US, there are published dictionaries (not in
SignWriting), that sort by ASL handshape too, just as you have in BSL.
The Handshape Book I believe is one that is published at Gallaudet...so
there are several ASL books that have tried different systems for
searching by handshape...the one difference with the SignWriting SSS is
that we are trying to create a look-up system for all signed
languages...plus there is another side to this...We type in the
SignWriter Computer Program with the SSS...

So anyone who uses the SignWriter Computer Program, is using the SSS
without realizing it...See attached diagram...