[sw-l] Symbol Group folders and PDF listings...

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jul 11 18:54:30 UTC 2004

Yes, yes, yes. fabulous Valerie.  I've reviewed all the figures so far, and they are clean.  I hope we can get a clean Libras list from this catalogueing so we are all talking about the same handshapes.

Peace,

Charles

Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org> wrote:
SignWriting List
July 11, 2004

Dear SignWriting Listers:
The International Movement Writing Alphabet (IMWA), SSS-2004, is a
listing of all of the symbols in SignWriting and DanceWriting. There
are 50 groups of symbols. I am finalizing each group of symbols, one by
one.

Today I posted Group 01-05: Five Fingers. It is a large group...42
handshapes. Some are unusual, since some are used more in DanceWriting
than SignWriting. And some of the unusual handshapes come from Irish
Sign Language...like flat hands that have a space between the middle
and index fingers....and also I added some variations of relaxed
fingers forward...Ingvild...perhaps you could check to see if your need
is solved now?...Take a look at the PDF for Five Fingers...

To download the PDF documents, or the graphics files for each group, go
to this web page:

SSS-2004 Group Folders and PDF Documents
http://www.SignBank.org/symbolbank/sss2004list.html

I am now working on Group 01-06: Baby Finger (hands that relate to the
baby finger in some way)...

This is slow work. I have been cleaning up inconsistencies in the
rotations. It is good that I am doing that, but it means re-numbering
thousands of symbols...some can be re-numbered quickly with specialized
software, but others have to be re-numbered manually, since there is no
consistent pattern...and then these new numbers have to be re-entered
into the SymbolBank database...smile...

I pray this work will benefit the world...A consistent symbolset should
lead to better software ...and better software may lead to increased
sign language literacy...

I hope someone will answer this message, so I can see if the List is
working!!...smile...

Val ;-)

To unsubscribe: send mail to
with "unsubscribe sw-l" in the body of the message.
Hosted by Valencia Community College, Orlando, FL
http://valenciacc.edu