[sw-l] Question about Salvation

Valerie Sutton sutton at signwriting.org
Tue Jul 13 14:17:18 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
July 13, 2004

Hello Stuart, and everyone on the SW List!
Thank you for this nice message, and for understanding my
situation....;-)]

The truth is that I need the month of July to complete all these
handshapes...I am adding three handshapes to Group 01-05 today, and
then if I can complete 06, 07 and 08 this week I will be lucky. Then
Group 01-09 is huge and may take 10 days...So I am assuming around
August 1st I should be ready to really start introducing the IMWA to
everyone...

As far as why that little diagonal line appeared on the square symbol
for the fist?...At one point we were trying to find a way to see palm
facing better with that basic square symbol...from the programming
point of view, the dark square looks the same in some rotations...for
example, if the hand has the knuckles up, or down, the basic square
symbol looks the same. So we were trying to add the thumb line so we
could see the difference between those two positions. But then, when we
really tried to write with it, it just wasn't necessary. The basic
square is a wonderful symbol for Deaf children...and adding such detail
becomes too much to learn.  So we went back to what we have been using
for 30 years...a basic square.

Meanwhile, the experimental symbols were sitting in a big folder of
symbols that I gave PUDL...I had forgotten to change those symbols back
to the correct plain square...So in August I am going to provide
programmers with clean folders of symbols...and that problem will be
corrected!

Thanks for listening to me!

Val ;-)