[sw-l] ASL Mouth Movements 1 of 2 (Modified by Valerie Sutton)

Stuart Thiessen sw at PASSITONSERVICES.ORG
Mon Jul 19 23:42:43 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
July 20, 2004

Dear SignWriting List, and Stuart and Stefan!

Thank you for sharing your mouth movement writing, Stuart. This is what
Stefan did in Germany....taking our basic facial expression symbols in
SignWriting and trying to establish a standard as to which symbol is
chosen for specific mouth movements within one language...I have always
hoped someone would do that for ASL, but that is not my job, so I have
been waiting for someone who uses ASL daily, to start this kind of
work...

Is the term [cs] (see your diagram)...is that term the way that
linguists discuss these facial expressions? If linguists and others
have established what the commonly-used facial expressions are in ASL,
then it would make your job much easier...

Regarding that first [cs] facial expression...I have used that facial
expression for the sign for RECENTLY in ASL. Would that fit?....Val ;-)