AW: [sw-l] How did you learn SignWriting?

Nana Dumitra nana.dumitra at SCHLOSSKLAUS.AT
Tue Jul 27 02:52:56 UTC 2004

Hi Barbara,

I can understand that SW is quite overwhelming at times, especially at the
beginning. Just as an introduction: I am hearing, married to a CODA (child
of deaf adults) and we have been working as missionaries with the deaf in
Romania and now the Philippines, we also had contact with deaf people in
Austria (where I come from) and the US (where we went for some training). I
started using SW about a year ago, mostly for myself  as a help to learn the
local signlanguage (I NEED to write stuff down that I want to learn :)).

What I did first was print the "Lessons in SignWriting" and work through
"viewpoint" and "hands". Then I just started using it: writing down a sign
or two per day and looking up the features I needed as I went. I am still
not totally sure on the movements, but most of the time I can write down
signs without looking anything up and I am able to read most of what I or
the deaf here in our area write. I found it a tremendous help for myself to
improve my sign language skills and also got quite a few comments from the
deaf that they could tell a real difference!

Don't get frustrated, just keep going and take it slowly! Soon everything
will fall into place :)
Greetings from the Philippines,
Nana Dumitra