Just got a call from Rich Gleaves about Lisbon ;-))

Thu Jun 3 20:47:58 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
June 3, 2004

Dear SW List, Antonio Carlos, Daniel, Sandy - everyone! smile...

I just received the greatest phone call from Richard Gleaves, who is
now home in San Diego after traveling to Lisbon. Richard presented an
historical paper at the conference, explaining about his development of
SignWriter DOS...It was fun to hear his stories about all that happened
in Lisbon...and to get his impressions of some of the
presentations...Plus I have some super photos that Richard took
too...so later this afternoon I will post those...

Thank you, Antonio Carlos, for your report and for your proceedings..I
look forward to reading all this when I can catch my breath!

And thank you, for inviting Richard to speak as a guest. You know, both
Rich and I are not a part of academia in the same way as others
are...we did our SignWriter DOS development out of our homes, and
posted it for free on the web, as our gift to signers everywhere...not
a part of any academic institution...but hoping it would service
everyday signers who need a visual writing system...

So the fact that our work is now used in academia is a true honor, and
although some may not realize the importance of Rich's work, because so
many new and wonderful things are happening in our modern times, the
truth is that much of the current work today was built upon Rich's work
in the past...

Meanwhile Rich himself has moved on to different things...His bright
mind is also very artistic, and he went running to art museums in
Lisbon, because art means so much to him! But before he did that, Rich
took some pictures of Daniel and Ingvild - they are excellent photos
;-))

Rich also came home with volumes of typed SignWriting literature in
Spanish Sign Language, typed with SignWriter DOS, given to him by Steve
Parkhurst from Spain...It is wonderful to know that in Spain they
continue to type Sign Language literature...I haven't seen it yet, but
Rich tells me it is equivalent to the Spanish Sign Language novel
published in SignWriting...If anyone is interested, I have copies of
their novel, which is typed in Spanish Sign Language (Madrid
dialect)...

More soon -

Sutton at SignWriting.org

SignWritingSite