AW: Facial Expressions, Breathing, Multiple Face Features

Stefan Woehrmann stefanwoehrmann at GEBAERDENSCHRIFT.DE
Wed Jun 9 22:31:29 UTC 2004

Hi Valerie and friends,

well facial expressions is one of my favorite subjects ;-)) since I put a
lot of energy in developing and creating lots of materials -

Well - you ask

"Have you standardized any of the facial expressions used in German Sign
Language (DGS) that are not related
specifically to speech?"

These "Mundbilder" are related to mouth movements that indicate voiceless
articulation movements.

But the other facial expressions are used as they are defined by YOU - So
there is nothing special that should be bound to any spoken language,
culture, religion ----

Nevertheless it is fun to add more and more facial expressions to pantomimic
or true DEAF storytelling Signing ...

What can you observe if somebody "niest"  in Germany we say kind of
"hatschi" - ha I sat down to write this in GebaerdenSchrift

"inhaling, head up, mouth open - then head moving down, and -blow air out
....  (hopefully handkerchief at hand, if not at least lift your hand ... )
;-))

As soon as I see Ingvilds spellings I will comment ...

Stefan ;-)