Brazilian Signs (Libras)

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jun 14 16:31:28 UTC 2004

New Brazilian signs loaded to www.pudl.info.

I have begun to slowly load the signs I archived during my work in Brazil.  If there are other researchers from SignNet, please feel free to augment my work.  Not all the handshapes that are used in Libras are available in the template, but I'm doing what I can to at least have one representative sign with each handshape available.

Please give me feedback.

Charles Butler
SignNet Researcher
(now in U.S.A)

Valerie Sutton <sutton at SIGNWRITING.ORG> wrote:
SignWriting List
June 11, 2004

Dear SW List, Stuart, and Dianne and Steve Parkhurst...

Recently Stuart Thiessen asked me if we could setup a resource for
people who are creating SignWriting instruction materials, with
illustrations that we all would be allowed to use freely, to help
create good looking SignWriting documents. What a great idea, Stuart!
Soooo...

Sooo....I wrote to Steven and Dianne Parkhurst, to ask them permission
to use their illustrations from their lovely textbook, called
SignoEscritura. Steve is an illustrator himself and really has such
lovely diagrams!

I am happy to tell you that Dianne just wrote to give us permission to
do this, so I will be creating a PictureBank archive...like a directory
of illustrations...that will be in html, plus in a SignBank-like
database in FileMaker...that way people could actually open PictureBank
while working in SignBank and SymbolBank...

So many thanks for the suggestion, Stuart. I will also write to other
illustrators to ask their permission to use their drawings too, plus I
will add the ones from my old books...they are not the best
illustrations, but sometimes something is better than nothing - ha!

If anyone has illustrations to contribute, please tell us! I will be
including the name of the artist at all times, so you will get credit.
All illustrations included in the new SignWriting PictureBank will be
copyright free, and free for people to use, so if you have
illustrations, give only those that you want to give freely to the
general public...

Thanks for the great idea...

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWritingSite