Analyzing SignWriting based on writer profile

Stuart Thiessen sw at PASSITONSERVICES.ORG
Tue Jun 15 15:24:56 UTC 2004

Hi! From my perspective, the answer to your question depends on the
question the analysis is intended to answer.  If you want to do a
sociolinguistic analysis of the average SignWriting user, or the writing
styles of designated groups of SignWriting users (such as those listed
below), this list could be helpful, but may not be as helpful as we think.

Like Stefan commented, we probably need more details on what the 4
ability categories you listed exactly mean and how the levels 1-10 would
be assigned.  What objective criteria would be used to evaluate those?

Also, ASL has not yet been "standardized" like English where there is a
form of "standard English" by which we measure English ability.  So that
may make it difficult to profile a writer.

Those are just some thoughts.

Thanks,

Stuart