AW: Analyzing SignWriting based on writer profile

Tue Jun 15 15:59:47 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
June 15, 2004

Dear SW List, Stephen, Stefan, Everyone -
This sounds like a research project that would have problems finding
enough people to study, to get accurate statistics. Stefan's questions
are excellent, and as you can see, it would be hard to answer many of
them...Maybe a study like this in 20 years would be better...right now
it is a little premature...we need improved software right now, and as
more people have more tools, such statistics might become more
obvious...

The best results of such a study would come from studying Deaf children
in Stefan's class, or a class in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and that
would only give you a small amount of Deaf people...and they all would
be young...so that would not be an accurate profile of a writer
either...but just one group...

So developing a computer program has to be based on other
questions...like what does the small group of people around the world,
who are publishing SignWriting literature, need to get the job done, so
there is more literature for the general public to read?...

The writing of English literature historically went through
phases...There was the phase where only the very very rich and educated
knew how to write...Then the next phase was reaching people who wanted
to create literature...then the Gutenberg press helped in Germany! And
then dictionaries had to be created, because everyone was publishing
with different spellings for words...The dictionary makers, like Samual
Johnson, had a hard time establishing spellings...but in time that
settled down. Meanwhile the everyday people were illliterate, but then
schools were established and slowly it became the norm to read and
write...that was centuries of development....

Where are we right now? We need improved equivalents of the Gutenberg
press...in other words...lots of software to publish Sign Language
Literature...

Val ;-)