Sign Proccessing Software

Fri Jun 18 15:26:35 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
June 18, 2004

Louis-FĂ©lix Bergeron wrote:
> If the fonctions are the same, no matter if what is
> written comes from sign language or spoken language, then why have
> different names?

Thanks to all of our List members, for your thoughtful discussion on
terminology....SignWriting has its own terminology partly because the
English words used to describe it, have been based on how Deaf people
in my world, signed it in their dialect of American Sign Language!
Complex, isn't it?

I remember back in the 1980's,  Dr. Karen van Hoek and I talked about
the fact that signs shift to the right or left of center......I
remember asking Karen ....what should we call that? I had called it
Spatial Comparisons, when I signed about it with everyone...and I
wanted to be sure that terminology was OK, and I remember that Karen,
at that time, told me that was fine because there wasn't an established
term yet, for that particular grammar in signed languages. I bet things
have changed since then and our terminology is now out of date...the
point I am trying to make is that we went ahead with our terminology
because we were writing 20 years ago. There is nothing new about our
terminology...we have been using it since the mid-1980's, fully aware
that such terminology may not be the norm...Just as long as we define
it properly, so we all are talking about the same thing....that is all
that matters. I am not asking anyone to change the way you see these
terms. And I will not ask Deaf people to start signing them differently
either...Let's move on to writing the beautiful signed languages of the
world...and slowly new terms will develop, because that is life!

While we are talking about Spatial Comparisons (grin), here is Karen
van Hoek's article on that topic! These beautiful grammar lessons were
originally written in English by Karen, but then signed in ASL by Deaf
native signer Butch Zein, and then Karen transcribed them into
SignWriting from videotape. ...There are a series of 12 grammar lessons
written this way...I love the fact that ASL describes ASL in these
articles...The English translation is below...