Terminology "swim lanes"

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jun 18 16:22:54 UTC 2004

On terminology:

I like "swim lanes".  A keystroke, like a breast-stroke" goes into a proper motion lane.  It implies motion and dance.  Definitely keep the "lanes", how about "motion lanes", people understand keeping in a lane of traffic.  Sign lane would definitely work but motion lane helps people understand why SW is written vertically.

So, for example,

"Always keep your signwriting properly centered in the motion lane, moving outward from the center line.  In this way you can show relative locations, particularly when placing classifier markers, as in showing several people in conversation or setting up a description space (like putting up bookshelves)."

Charles

Valerie Sutton <sutton at SIGNWRITING.ORG> wrote:
SignWriting List
June 18, 2004

Stephen Slevinski wrote:
> I thought I would play a bit with the PUDL site and try to implement
> gloss
> translation with swim lanes. My dictionary still doesn't center the
> head in
> the middle of the swim lanes, but my next dictionary will.

Smile...Shall we establish some new terminology? Let's not call them
swim lanes...What about Sign Lanes (grin) or SW Lanes or Width Lanes,
or Spatial Comparison Lanes....you can see how new terminology gets
re-defined daily!

> So attached is the translation of "there_2 your >dog."

OK. Let me re-write this, by typing it in SignWriter Java, showing you
how I would do that...keystrokes and all!....

Here is Stephen's example and mine will be coming next...