How to write SignWriting in Vertical Columns

Fri Jun 18 18:30:38 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
June 18, 2004

So in conclusion, Stephen, when you are programming a way to provide
vertical column writing, there is, unfortunately, more to it than
originally meets the eye...For example, looking at your writing from
PUDL (which is an amazing first start!)...see attached...The sign for
THERE needs a facial expression with eyegaze...Eyegaze is not always
used with that sign, but in this instance it would provide the Center
Anchor necessary to really read that column well, plus it provides a
reinforcement of the direction you are pointing, since the eyegaze is
in the same direction as the movement arrow...so those Center Anchors,
and the fact that facial expressions themselves are vital, yet
continually changing, is the real challenge, from a programming point
of view. In the slow method in SignWriter Java, I can type the
different facial expressions before inserting the sign into a Lane...

I am going to be away for this afternoon, but I look forward to more
communication...Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!  Val ;-)