RES: PROGRAMMERS: Typing SignWriting in Vertical Columns...

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jun 18 20:47:40 UTC 2004

Hi Sergio,

I think it depends on the use the writing is being put into.  If one includes captions "word for word" between English or Portuguese and ASL or Libras, then horizontal can be used, but one loses the "location" of various signs needed in conversational sign language.  One of the main points of SW is that it is a writing system for sign language independent of captions, though.

It depends on what Deaf are used to and what they are writing, are they writing Libras "as" Libras, or with Portuguese captions rather than as "pure language."

When I was transcribing at the FENEIS meeting, I used vertical when I was taking notes, because it was faster and showed locations of signs around the interpreters body, but when I was teaching I used horizontal as well to show comparison between Portuguese and Libras.

Single words with captions work fine, but when one is writing a full sentence where there is not a "sign to word" correspondence, then you are comparing, as English says, apples and oranges.

Charles Butler

"Sergio S. Ribeiro" <ssr.informatica at IG.COM.BR> wrote:
Hello Val and All,

I was used columnMaker for columnzed my initials jobs, but deafs tell me no
want vertical columns. So I stopped and used than only horizontal mode. And
another problem founded with mode is because write title is not or sub-title
is not clear or funny to see. But horizontal mode is better becouse it is
possible.

What you think about ? How do you do to prepare or writting texts,reports,
etc in vertical mode ? What about it is look ?

Sergio