Harry Potter Pooh and Mundbilder

Mon Jun 21 00:46:49 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
June 20, 2004

Stefan Woehrmann wrote:
> - perhaps it would be good to agree on a specific set of "Mundbilder"
> in
> case these indicate voiceless articulation of the spoken language of
> the
> country-

Hello Everyone, and Stefan!
I think that your Mundbilder standardizations of SW facial expressions
can certainly be added into the IMWA and then let people choose if they
want to use them or not...that might be really interesting to see what
people choose to do...

Some cultures may be against the idea, since they may not be that
focused on the spoken language of their country...for example here in
the US, fingerspelling is used a great deal, but not that many
countries use fingerspelling in the same way that we do in the US...

Mundbilder may relate well to the spoken languages of Northern Europe,
such as German and Norwegian, and possibly even Flemish and
Dutch...even Danish maybe...because some of the vowels seem to be
similar in those languages...and perhaps your educational systems are
similar too...meanwhile in other countries...the vowels are so
different in Thailand...for example...that is a different world...

So leaving it to the choice of others will be great...I am glad
Mundbilder works so well with your German students!