Flying Bird

Mon Jun 21 18:30:32 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
June 21, 2004

Dear Sandy, and SW List Members:
Writing each position, as Stefan did, is the old way that we wrote as
far back as 1974, when transcribing Danish Sign Language from
video...But then we started using the Finger Motion symbols to make the
movement a movement, rather than a bunch of positions...so the Finger
Motion symbols I showed you before, are still applicable...they would
replace all those positions so you would have one thumb line, and the
Finger Motion near it...Takes less space when writing, but does assume
a little knowledge of the sign...Either way is fine...the positions are
nice for beginners....Val ;-)

PS. Yes. You are right. The G handshape, which you were trying to
write, handles palm facing differently...that is why I mis-read it and
thought there was a baby finger going up and down...because there is a
handshape that does do the palm facing you did...but it has a baby
finger...;-)