introducing myself to sw-l

Tini Pel tinipel at ONLINK.NET
Tue Jun 22 14:48:54 UTC 2004

Hello  Manfred,
So good to read that you were involved in Ballet, as well with the Benesh notation. I went through the Laban, (slow!!!!!!) Benesh( faster but not as easy to read) and then into Sutton Dance Notation. What a difference. I could sit behind a choreographer and speed notate. After having taught it to our students they too benefited from Valerie's work as they could take their notation home and study their parts for performances and exams.
Oh were are my manners, my name is Tini Pel. I have taught ballet for 37 years, retired from it and now very much involved in Sign Writing.
Have a wonderful day.
L.I.F.E. (Learning Is Fun Eh) Eh, is a Canadian expression.
Tini.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Manfred Sailer
  To: SW-L at ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA
  Sent: Monday, June 21, 2004 5:27 PM
  Subject: introducing myself to sw-l

  Dear SWList members,

  Valery suggested that I should make use of the fact that I am having problems receiving messages from the list to try whether I can post  to the list --- and to introduce myself to all of you.

  My name is Manfred Sailer. I am a 35 year old hearing linguist at the university of Tuebingen, Southern Germany (formal syntax and semantics, computational linguistics). I started learning German Sign Language (DGS) in October 2002 - just for fun and because I thought it would be good for a linguist to know a sign language. After looking around for writing systems for DGS a while, I decided that it would be worth the effort to learn SignWriting., because it looked like a system which is really actively used. … and there is so much great material which makes it easy to get started! Material about the system in general and, especially for DGS, Stefan Woehrmann's site. I was really amazed how easy it was to get the basics of the system and to carry on from that - thanks to Valery's fantastic course book and to Stefan's huge DGS dictionary for sw dos!
  At the moment I am mainly using SignWriting to write down vocabulary I learn in my DGS classes. It's a lot of fun to learn this beautiful language and to be able to write it down!

  I have been on the SWList for quite a while by now (since November 03) and have followed the contributions with great interest. Since I am not working on sign languages, I don't have much to contribute myself, though. Still, I wanted to use the occasion to say that I am deeply impressed by all the work on SignWriting and by the supportive and cooperative community!

             Manfred.

  PS: isn't it funny: before I decided to become a linguist, I had been trained in  classical ballet for more than 10 years (which also included a basic introduction to the Benesh dance notation system). So I can really appreciate all aspects of the Sutton writing systems!