[SignWriting] Re: IMWA SSS-2004: Category 01: Hands

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at SUNEIDESIS.COM
Fri Jun 25 18:59:23 UTC 2004

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004, Sandy Fleming <sandy at FLEIMIN.DEMON.CO.UK> wrote:

> Some time ago I marked up my "Lessons in SignWriting" manual with all the
> handshapes from the big BSL dictionary,

Interesting work. Care to share with us other BSL learners? :-)

> ... As you see, certain handshapes have only one entry (a sign that
> these are foreign borrowings), so might be "pushed to one side" when it
> comes to keyboard design.

Without looking these up myself, dictionary is in its usual place propping
up other (more useful) BSL books, I would not commit to commenting upon
whether a unique usage was an indication of a lexical borrowing. It could
simply be because that is where the compilers ran out of money. :-|

My own contribution to making the BSL/English dictionary usable for its
intended audience is to create a complete list of the English glosses.

Regards, Trevor

<>< Re: deemed!