[sw-l] Have a splendid July everyone! ;-))

Valerie Sutton sutton at signwriting.org
Wed Jun 30 21:58:07 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
June 30, 2004

Dear SW List and Joel!
Thank you for the message below, Joel. Nice to meet you. My name is
Valerie Sutton, and I am the second-owner of the SignWriting
List...well....I moderate the SignWriting List anyway!

And thanks for making it possible for us to continue the SignWriting
List at Valencia Community College! Our List is an active List during
the school year, and is the hub of our small, but enthusiastic
SignWriting Community...The SignWriting List has members from 27
countries...educators, researchers, parents and Deaf people who write
their respective signed languages...

It is almost July, and I am going to make a very rare announcement. I
am going to take most of July to relax, and not be too busy on the SW
List...in fact, although I will be puttering around my office, working
on the IMWA, I would really like to work behind the scenes and not
worry about managing the List right now. Our List is seven years old
and we never shut down, but since so many Lists have just been moved to
Valencia Community College...at least four that I know of ....the
technicians must be exhausted and it might be nice for them to also
have a relaxed transition...

So no stress Joel and Paul - a big THANK YOU! And I am going out in the
sunshine and kicking up my heels - dancing on the beach! I only wish
you could join me...grin....

And SW List Members...post if you will, but don't be surprised if it
takes awhile to get responses...most of us will be on a partial
vacation...Feel free to write to me privately anytime -
Sutton at SignWriting.org...I always love hearing from you...

August is going to be a VERY busy month...the school year starts again
here in the US, and we may have some new SignWriting software ready to
be tested this Fall...so in August we are going to have to hold onto
our hats!!! ;-))

Have a splendid July everyone!

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting List
sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
Post a Message to the SW-List

2. SignWritingSite
http://www.SignWriting.org
Read & Write Sign Languages

3. SignBankSite
http://www.SignBank.org
Sign Language Dictionaries

4. DanceWritingSite
http://www.DanceWriting.org
Read & Write Dance

5. MovementWritingSite
http://www.MovementWriting.org
Read & Write Movement & Gesture

6. Sutton's SymbolBank
http://www.SignBank.org/symbolbank
Symbol Archive For Entire System

Deaf Action Committee for SignWriting
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA
tel: 858-456-0098....fax: 858-456-0020

--------------------------------------

On Jun 30, 2004, at 11:31 AM, Joel Burrow wrote:

> All,
>
> There was a problem with both "digests" and the "nomail" commands when
> the listservers were migrated.  The problem with digests was fixed (I
> missed a file permission in the setup -- which is why it worked for
> me, and not for you), and now, to subscribe to the digest version of
> your list, all you need do is send an email to
> majordomo at majordomo.valenciacc.edu with the words "subscribe
> <list-name>-digest" in the body of the email.  For example, for the
> terps-l list:
>
> "subscribe terps-l-digest" (without the quotes).
>
> For the nomail, the problem was a little more complex.  The "set
> <list-name> nomail" command is a Majordomo version 2 command, and I
> opted to install the latest stable version -- which is 1.94 (yes, I
> have a phobia of beta software on a production system).  In other
> words, the command is not supported.
>
> However, there is another method that performs basically the same
> function.  To remain subscribed to the list, but not receive posts,
> first subscribe to the "no-post" list by sending an email to
> majordomo at majordomo.valenciacc.edu with one of the following in the
> body of the email:
>
> subscribe terps-l-nopost
> or
> subscribe sw-l-nopost
> or
> subscribe oasli-l-nopost
>
> depending upon which list you're subscribed.  Then "unsubscribe" from
> the main list:
>
> unsubscribe terps-l
> or
> unsubscribe sw-l
> or
> unsubscribe oasli-l
>
> again, depending upon which list you're interested in.
>
> By the way, both commands can be sent in one email; for example:
>
> subscribe terps-l-nopost
> unsubscribe terps-l
>
> The posting address (when you want to send an email to the list)
> remains the same:  terps-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu, to continue our
> example from above.
>
> This will get you to where you want to be -- no daily deluge of email,
> but able to post to the list.
>
> Hope this helps, and if any further help (or long-winded explanations)
> are needed, please feel free to email me
> majordomo-owner at majordomo.valenciacc.edu.
>
> Joel

with "unsubscribe sw-l" in the body of the message.