How do I make new signs?

Stephen Slevinski slevin at PUDL.INFO
Tue Mar 2 17:59:19 UTC 2004

Thanks Val,

I have SignWriter Dos up and running.  I'm going thru the manual now.

-Stephen

-----Original Message-----
From: SignWriting List [mailto:SW-L at ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA]On Behalf Of
Valerie Sutton
Sent: Sunday, February 29, 2004 6:07 PM
To: SW-L at ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA
Subject: Re: How do I make new signs?

SignWriting List
February 29, 2004

Dear SW List, and Stephen!
Welcome to the SignWriting List, Stephen! And thank you for your
wonderful new web site:

Pittsburgh United For Deaf Literacy (PUDL)
http://www.pudl.info/cards.php

And thank you, Stuart, for giving Stephen information.

Ok. Now. Stephen - there is a way to type in both SignWriter DOS, and
also in SignWriter Java. But most people start with SignWriter DOS. The
typing is similar in both programs, although the DOS program is more
complete and can do more...You can run the DOS program on Windows 98,
98se, and ME, or...on XP if you also download another program called
DOSBox, that makes it possible for you to use SignWriter DOS on XP.

But you can also type with SignWriter Java.

So here are some places to go on the web. To learn how to type, I would
suggest this web page:

Instruction SignWriter Computer Program
http://www.SignWriting.org/forums/software/sw44/sw44less

The one problem with SignWriter Java is that it has bugs, and is being
re-programmed. One of the current bugs is when you first open the
program and you want to type, you need to click on the Type
Fingerspelling Button first, and then click on the Type Sign button on
the bottom. From there you will be able to start typing by just typing
on a key, and there are Key Boxes on the screen and then you type the
asdfghjkl; keys to choose the symbol you want...Go to the page above,
and download some instruction manuals!

I will write again in a day or so...so keep asking questions and
someone will answer them for you -

Val ;-)

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.