ASL Numbers for SignWriting Playing Cards

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Mar 4 20:11:09 UTC 2004

Stephen Slevinski <slevin at PUDL.INFO> wrote:
Could an open circle and a closed circle ever be used on the same hand for
the same sign? I guess this would be possible, but never on the same
finger.

Thanks,
-Stephen

ANSWER (from Charles Butler)

In Brazil, we have used an open and closed circle on a hand that closes slowly (see attached words) to indicate which finger starts the motion, the little finger or the large finger with a "smooth motion" sign between them.  It saves a lot of time when writing quickly. The dark dot is next to the first closing finger.  (see mundo.gif)

Here is a sample page to show you how we ordered them in our initial Libras (Brazilian Sign Language) to Portuguese dictionary.  This is the second page of the "open 5" section.

Charles Butler