ASL Numbers for SignWriting Playing Cards

Stephen Slevinski slevin at PUDL.INFO
Fri Mar 5 04:23:46 UTC 2004

Thanks Val,

I really appreciate the feedback.  I will make the changes to the Jack(11),
Queen(12), and King(13) soon.

I have looked into getting the cards professionally printed, but the
smallest number I can find to get printed is 500.  I plan on making a
registry on my site for people who are interested in ordering the cards.
Once I have enough people interested, I will improve the graphics and order
the decks.

-Stephen Slevinski
www.pudl.info

-----Original Message-----
From: SignWriting List [mailto:SW-L at ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA]On Behalf Of
Valerie Sutton
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2004 1:24 PM
To: SW-L at ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA
Subject: Re: ASL Numbers for SignWriting Playing Cards

SignWriting List
March 4, 2004

Stephen Slevinski wrote:
> I misunderstood the open and closed circles and how they relate to
> finger
> movement.  I was confused by page 88 in the Lessons in SignWriting
> Textbook.
> I thought multiple circles represented multiple joints, not multiple
> repetitions.
>
> So if I understand this correctly now...
> - One open circle means the joints open once.  This is how I sign
> "understand".
> - Two open circles means the joints open twice.  This is how I sign
> "11".

--------

Hello Everyone, and Stephen!
Good. I am glad you joined the List and started showing us your work. I
would like to purchase some of your cards, and donate them to the
Albuquerque Deaf kids, but before I do that, we need to make sure the
numbers are correct...

Yes. Two dots mean two openings of the middle joint of the finger. One
dot means one opening of the middle joint. Like UNDERSTAND...you are
right...

Read these pages, and then later I can give you more attention...

On the web, this is page 88 in the textbook:
http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/lessonsw/088%20Finger-Movement.html

Continue reading until page 90 in the textbook....the sign for
UNDERSTAND is on page 89 I believe...

Talk to you all later!

Val ;-)
---