Imrpoved Search for PUDL's Open Dictionary

Wed Mar 10 18:27:31 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
March 10, 2004

Stuart Thiessen wrote:
> Why not simply put a field for sign language and then signs can be
> naturally segregated by sign language? Then the user can choose which
> sign language they are looking at for the signs.

Dear SW List, and Stuart:
Although this idea seems easy, it is actually harder than you may
realize. Just administering such a site, where people all over the
world can add their own signs on the web...in different languages,
would be a lot of email with questions from users who do not
necessarily know English...so I can see why the Pittsburgh United for
Deaf Literacy wants to keep to ASL!

Although I will not have a way for other people to add signs on the web
in our SignBank Online Dictionary, I will be offering dictionaries in
several signed languages, and people will be able to email me privately
with GIFs, and I will add them for them...

....smile...

Tell us about your new web site, Stuart...How is that going? ;-)