Should PUDL's Open Dictionary be international?

Thu Mar 11 18:48:03 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
March 11, 2004

Dear SW List, and Stephen...
Thank you for all you are doing...Getting grants for this kind of
project would make sense. I try to write grants regularly for our
non-profit here, but it is not easy, and I end up doing the work
anyway, whether I get the funding or not...and I would assume that is
what you are doing too...So the one thing I want to share with all of
you is that before we met Stephen's dictionary (smile), I was already
in the process of trying to establish an international database on the
web...The skeleton of the design is posted now, but with very few signs
in it...Go to this web page to look, and click on a flag...that will
give you an idea of what I had planned to do...

SignBank
http://www.SignBank.org

But the truth is, it takes time to build such databases, and I cannot
administer a database where others upload right now. So if you really
want to do this international work, Stephen, then I can change the way
I am doing things too, or we can help each other and have two
international databases...and what could be better? It is good for the
world to have several inter-linking resources...

Meanwhile, the SignBank computer program (database software) that
people install on their computers, can sort by Sign-Symbol-Sequence and
do all the fancy stuff that our simple word-to-sign dictionaries on the
web cannot do...So that is another opportunity for those who want to
create bi-lingual or multi-lingual databases...

I am now going back to focus on Happy Birthday in ASL! Please excuse by
delay, Adam!

Val ;-)