PUDL Site and Val's mini-report...

Mon Mar 22 05:24:32 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
March 21, 2004

Hello Everyone!
What a busy weekend I have had...Thanks for your messages about the
article on the web - I look forward to reading it, and by the way, Rich
Gleaves, the developer of SignWriter DOS, says a big "hello" to
everyone - We met this weekend about the software development
conference in Lisbon this May...Rich is one of the invited speakers at
that conference, and we went back in our history together, discussing
the issues that we faced back in 1986, when we first started
computerizing SignWriting on an Apple //e and //c...Today there are
programmers in several countries making a real difference - It is quite
amazing to read the papers written by some of the presenters at the
conference...Two decades of pioneering is producing real results...

Stephen - please forgive my tardiness in testing your online typing
device...using X and Y coordinates. I tried it briefly, but because of
a busy schedule, I have not really focused on it yet...I am so spoiled
by the typing techniques of SignWriter DOS, which can be fairly quick
typing, if you know the typing techniques, and people can download the
software for free...but you never know...your web method might grow on
me and others, as we get used to it......We need a little time, and I
need to promote it for you on our web sites to see how much traffic you
get...I love your translation program...that is so easy for people and
people have asked me for something like that before...

Anyway, I have a new posting now of the SSS-US...So if you have nothing
to do (grin), I would suggest re-downloading the GIFs ...I just posted
the corrected folders this evening...You see, the SSS-US is a new
symbolset which was my first attempt at trying to create a smaller
symbolset that is specific to just one signed language...in this case,
ASL (someday we will have other country-sets too)...

The SSS-US is used in SignBank for Everyday Use, and I tested it there,
only to find that there were some symbols missing, that we had to have,
or we could not really record ASL, so the corrected SSS-US will
hopefully remain stable now...

Download New SSS-US
http://www.SignBank.org/symbolbank

More tomorrow!