Beginners question on movement

Wed Mar 24 22:02:44 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
March 24, 2004

Dan Parvaz wrote:
> Yeah, what I remember of it, anyway. :-) Anyway, signed languages are
> significantly different from spoken languages, which is why the SEEs
> and
> "signes methodiques" of the world don't work... and why SignWriting is
> easier to read than many of the more linear transcription systems out
> there. So why a Signed Exact Esperanto?

Hi Dan, and Everyone -
That is a good point. Way back in 1974, when I was first asked to
develop a way to write signs, for researchers at the University of
Copenhagen...I had a boss named Lars von der Lieth....perhaps some of
you know Lars? Really nice guy...He told me about Gestuno because they
were working with others on it...then years later I returned to visit
Denmark and Lars gave me a blue published book on Gestuno...Has anyone
seen that book? It had photos of Deaf people signing the signs...but I
have not heard much about Gestuno since... Is it used at all? I have a
feeling it was never really used.... Obviously SignWriting can write
anything that moves, and I want Signuno and others to know, that I am
glad you are trying SignWriting...no matter what the signed
language...I agree with Dan, though, that writing naturally-evolved
signed languages probably will be used faster by Deaf people around the
world.... Val ;-)