Beginners question on movement

Thu Mar 25 15:42:11 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
March 25, 2004

Dear SW List and Signuno!
Thank you for this message....;-)

Signuno wrote:
> All language, not just Esperanto, is a mix of natural
> and planned, with the planned elements being recent or
> being distant.  If you observed Esperanto, without
> being told it was Esperanto, you could not guess that
> it was different from any other human language.

That is true. It does look like other written-spoken languages. Do you
use Esperanto? Are there groups of people who speak it? Tell us a
little about your work with Gestuno too. I am interested to know how
Gestuno is being used now...I know there have been many intelligent
people interested in developing a good international sign
language...and perhaps writing it in SignWriting could be valuable?

> And writing systems are planned too.  Korean is
> somewhat recent (and very beautiful) yet had planning
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangul and Sign Writing
> too is planned.  But in 100 years nobody will think of
> Sign Writing as natural versus artificial - it will
> just be _used_ (in public signposts etc).
>
> Don't think "is it natural", just think "does it work".

Good point! And you are right...Korean is a beautiful written language!

So now, may I ask, did the SignWriting example I gave you "work" for
you? How are you typing SignWriting? Are you using SignWriter, or
SymbolBank perhaps? Please see attached...Val ;-)