Face animation questions

Fri Mar 26 17:30:12 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
March 26, 2004

On Mar 26, 2004, at 2:42 AM, Nikos Grammalidis wrote:
> We are first trying to support STATIC facial expressions, which can be
> described by just one FAP frame (no dynamic information, i.e. MOTION):
> QUESTION....1)the dynamic symbol which represents the tense movement
> (what exactly means tense movement?)....

Dear SW List and Nikos in Greece -
I am answering these questions to the SignWriting List, so that others
can benefit...The Tense Symbol is a Dynamics Symbol, and is applied to
different kinds of motion...including positions of the face...

1. TENSE SYMBOLS IN CHEEKS
The attached diagram shows cheeks filled with air, cheeks not filled
with air, sucking in of the cheeks, and the bottom three lines are all
Tense Cheeks...at different levels of the muscles of the cheeks and
face...

Not everyone can accomplish such facial expressions, but some people
can...Imagine a person tensing the muscles of the cheeks high on the
cheek bone...Then imagine the tension of the cheek muscles below that,
etc...There are some facial expressions that really do harness the
ability to tense those cheek muscles...These symbols are rarely used
and may not be that important to your research, though...They are very
subtle, and are more a "feeling" to the signer, rather than something
the reader grasps...the reader sees it as a whole, and there is feeling
there too, but it is hidden within the entire facial expression, which
most likely has more than just tense cheeks...