Pronouns - English words and ASL grammar

Fri Mar 26 20:32:15 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
March 26, 2004

Stephen Slevinski wrote:
> However, if the pronouns are consistent, I should be able to upgrade
> the
> translator to act properly.  So if someone enters "I-help-you", the
> translator will be smart enough to exchange "me" for "I" and display
> "me-help-you".  However, there will still be a problem with
> "she-helps-me"
> because of the extra s on help....

Yes. Just a little thing like an "s" at the end of verbs, and suddenly
the translation program will have problems...What a big undertaking you
have started...If different kinds of people visit your site, and if
some do not know what an ASL gloss is, the translation program will of
course give a sentence with incorrect ASL grammar...but that cannot be
helped...At least the tool exists for those who know what to do, and
that is a lot more than we had before!!  Val ;-)