Advantages of ASL GLoss for SignWriting

Stephen Slevinski slevin at PUDL.INFO
Sun Mar 28 21:19:58 UTC 2004

Hi All,

In Pittsburgh, many deaf are curious about SignWriting.  They think it is
interesting, but they will not use it.  They have the attitude that they
already know a written language (English), so why learn another.

I believe this is a common theme.  And it is creating a problem similar to
the chicken and the egg paradox.  Which came first, adults who use
SignWriting or children who use SignWriting.

Since many of these adults know some English, I believe that ASL Gloss to
SignWriting may help solve the problem.

But in the future, after this problem has been overcome, ASL Gloss will not
be needed.  But will it still be useful?  We'll see...

-Stephen Slevinski
www.pudl.info