Advantages of ASL GLoss for SignWriting

Sun Mar 28 18:31:20 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
March 28, 2004

And your thoughts are greatly appreciated, Stephen. I know your idea of
programming with ASL gloss has accomplished one thing that is quite
important...For now we have a way to do some translation from English
typing to SignWriting, with your translation program, and I think that
is an important first step towards a good translation program...Someday
we need to get it out of ASL glosses and into full English sentences
being translated into good ASL...but for now this is a great for
us...and also the vertical columns are best for ASL literacy...I have
shown that people read ASL better in vertical columns and I hope that
your sign-definitions could be in vertical columns too, like ours in
SignBank... -  Val ;-)