A Deaf perspective

Mon Mar 29 02:12:13 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
March 28, 2004

Dear SW List, and Adam!
I think it is a great idea to re-introduce ourselves to the List....

Thank you for starting the introductions, Adam. Your background as a
born-deaf person, and your accomplishments are truly admirable. There
are other Deaf people like yourself on our List...and I hope they will
also speak up and share their stories of their childhoods. I do not
believe anyone who is born hearing can even imagine what the
frustrations must be like for you. Thank you for helping us with your
SignWriting of ASL... you are clearly skilled in ASL and that is a
gift!

Let me begin the hearing-person's introductions - ha! I was born
hearing, in an all-hearing family, in 1951, in New York City. There is
no deafness in my family. I was born with a genetic illness however,
related to the atopic gene, and that has influenced by life. I was in
professional ballet training at age 10, and at age 15 I started writing
dances for my own notes, which later became Sutton DanceWriting...and
the rest you all know...You can read more about my life on these pages:

History of SignWriting
http://www.SignWriting.org/library/history

Val's Autobiography
http://www.ValerieSutton.org

OK...Who else will tell us your backgrounds? smile...Val ;-)