International Movement Writing Alphabet

Wed May 5 21:31:11 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
May 5, 2004

Dear SW List Members:
I am working this month on the International Movement Writing Alphabet.
I am writing a Reference Manual that explains the logic behind the
system. This will coordinate with a SymbolBank Database that will hold
all symbols. SymbolBank will be available as a searchable database on
the web, plus you will be able to download it, to run it on your
computer desktop.

I am adding the most important symbols into SymbolBank right now, and I
am leaving plenty of empty spaces, so we can later add new symbols, as
they appear. I have enjoyed looking at documents from the past,
searching for symbols we need to incorporate into the database...There
is a big body of work, both in SignWriting and DanceWriting, that has
never been documented, so this is a good start towards that goal...

I am posting the SSS-2004 Reference Manual on the web, chapter by
chapter, as I finish them. So you can start looking at the manual if
you would like. These chapters are finished now...

SSS-2004 Reference Manual

Introduction
http://www.SignWriting.org/archive/docs2/sw0157-sss2004-Introduction.pdf

Chapter One: 8 Symbol Categories
http://www.SignWriting.org/archive/docs2/sw0155-sss2004-Chapter1.pdf

Chapter Two: 50 Symbol Groups
....includes What is a BaseSymbol? and What is a Group BaseSymbol?...
http://www.SignWriting.org/archive/docs2/sw0156-sss2004-Chapter2.pdf

You will notice the great globe map, with all the red dots on it, on
the cover. That map was done for us by Bill Reese. Bill...you will find
your credit on the credits page...Many thanks...I think it makes an
elegant design for our cover!! ;-)