Do you want these handshapes in the IMWA?

Mon May 10 16:26:40 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
May 10, 2004

Dear SW List, Mohamed, Charles, Ingvild and Dan!
Thanks for your feedback. The IMWA is like a big closet, filled with
symbols that signers around the world might use....but as Ingvild
mentioned...not all of them are really necessary for daily use, since
writing conventions and standardization will replace the need for so
many symbols. So the purpose of the IMWA is to create a database that
makes it possible for researchers to choose what handshapes they need
to write with...but many of the symbols will never be used too...

The problem is, that there are around 20 Rootshapes. What is a
Rootshape? It is the base or the bottom of the hand symbol. For
example, the square symbol for the fist is the Rootshape for the Index
handshape...the Index finger itself is called an Action Finger. Action
Fingers are the focus of the handshape. They provide the meaning...so
the Rootshapes are not nearly as important...They are just the root to
the tree, and the Action Fingers are the branches that everyone looks
at...I will provide a diagram shortly...

But with sooo many possible Rootshapes, just the Index Finger alone
could have 20 different variations! And each of those 25 handshapes
have all 96 flops and rotations...can you imagine how many symbols we
are talking about? smile...

So, I have an idea...I am thinking of maybe placing just the BaseSymbol
for all those possible variations, into a chart. People can look at the
chart to find a variation needed, and then, if that choice is not
officially in the IMWA database with all 96 flops and rotations, at
least the handshape will have a number to refer to, and they can write
to me and ask me to officially place it in the IMWA database...

More soon about this...Thanks again for your feedback and we have just
begun this conversation!!

Val ;-)