IRISH SIGN LANGUAGE questions and answers...

Tue May 11 20:51:00 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
May 11, 2004

IRISH HANDSHAPES REQUESTED...
These handshapes have been requested from the Irish team, and I will be
adding them to the International Movement Writing Alphabet
(IMWA)...Most of them are already in the database (SignBank for
Research Use), but have some minor differences, like the degree of
bending...the angle of the fingers...and in the case of M and N...they
don't want the thumb to show, as they do in our ASL symbol...so these
tiny differences make a very long list of handshapes...on the other
hand...so what?! The database has infinite space....Congratulations to
everyone working so hard on publications using SignWriting...I am
amazed at how much detail and care people give to SignWriting around
the world...I look forward to seeing the ISL, Irish Sign Language book
with SignWriting examples throughout...and I hope someday that in ASL,
we too will have a book that teaches ASL, using SignWriting to record
every lesson...Val ;-)