thanks! and more SW Java questions

Nancy Emery nemery at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Tue May 18 23:03:11 UTC 2004

Dear Valerie,

thanks so much for your help with my SignWriter Java questions last week.  I
was able to superimpose faces to combine facial expressions, and to stretch
the blue editing box by sort of pinning it down with an extra symbol in the
corner, as you suggested.  That enabled me to make much more complex
sentences, it was great.  (I also finally realized that I'd been losing the
blue editing box too soon by trying to use the mouse rather than the
keyboard to select the right symbol from the row on the screen.)

I have a couple more questions -

1)  is there a way to go back and edit sentences once I have gone on and
typed something else? Once the light blue box is gone and the contents have
been inserted, if I type something else and then want to go back and fix
something I did previously, it seems that highlighting the earlier entry and
pressing "m" just deletes the sign and replaces it with the roman letter m.
Maybe I should copy and paste into a new file and try to work on it there?

2)  how do you work around the trouble getting SW Java to print?

Sorry to bother you with these when you're so busy getting ready for Lisbon
- but I want you to know that it's very exciting to be learning how to type
SW, and it will be an integral part of my MA thesis in linguistics.  I will
transcribe some videotaped ASL stories into SW so that (I hope) people who
don't know ASL will be able to follow what I'm talking about better, and so
that there's a written record people can look at at their leisure when they
may not have a video available.  Of course I hope they can also see the
stories signed, but SW comes closer to capturing the look of real signing
than any other system I know.

Nancy Emery

Nancy Emery