SignWriting History Article for SigNews

Deaf Action Committee dac at SIGNWRITING.ORG
Wed May 19 17:15:36 UTC 2004

SignWriting History Article
for SigNews, June 2004 Issue

....continued...

It took 3 months to write one issue by hand. The first issue, published
Fall, 1981, was written by hand by Founding Editor, Nancy Ellen Woo
(now Nancy Romero). Nancy continued to write each issue by hand for
several years. It was tiring, painstaking work.

We started using wax symbols...wax symbols were manually pressed on
paper with specially designed "transfer sheets" (see below)...but that
was just as slow as writing by hand with ink pens...The wax symbols
provided some standard to the look of the symbols, but we ended up
going back to writing with ink pens, because it was actually faster
than pressing wax symbols...Try to imagine writing pages of SignWriting
by pressing wax symbols one by one, onto paper...it was laborious...and
the wax transfer sheets were expensive to produce too...