News from Quebec

Fri May 21 15:21:02 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
May 21, 2004

Dear SW Listers, and Louis-Felix in Quebec!
Thank you for sharing your experiences with us, Louis-Felix. As you can
see, there is nothing to worry about...instead it is a good experience!
And all those people who were skeptical years ago, had never tried it
themselves, so how could they really know? And those same people
dropped their skepticism quickly...when they started to use it....that
is why we kept on going...because it was obvious that it would become a
real writing system someday, if we just continued...Thirty years has
proven it is true...

So I guess we are in a new era! Now it is just a matter of literature
and other materials...Well, that can be solved over time. Rather than
trying big steps immediately, start with one small SignWriting project.
Maybe you could reach out to one Deaf person, and ask if they would be
willing to sign the story of Goldilocks in French-Canadian Sign
Language, onto a videotape. Then you can have fun trying to slowly
write the story in SignWriting from the videotape. That way, you know
you are getting the correct way to sign it, since it was signed by a
Deaf signer, but you can do it at your leisure. Or maybe the Deaf
person will become interested enough to help with the transcription! I
will be happy to supply you with the illustrations. Anyone is welcome
to use our illustrations in our SignWriting publications, for your own
SignWriting publications.

Plus, you can also take each individual sign from the videotape, and
start adding them to a dictionary database. So you will slowly build a
vocabulary list written in SignWriting.

What are your computer skills, Louis-Felix? Are you using SignWriter
DOS, SignWriter Java, SignBank?

Val ;-)

PS. Regarding Deaf students who use Coclear Implants...people bring
that up to me all the time, and that is not the issue with SignWriting.
Instead think differently about SignWriting. This is what I tell
people: Any person who uses a signed language, needs a way to write
their language. So as long as any signed language exists on this earth,
SignWriting will have value, because it is the written form for signed
languages. So what does a Coclear Implant have to do with SignWriting?
Zero. I guess people assume that the Coclear Implant will delete the
need for any signed language...but I know plenty of hearing people who
sign, and they can hear! So in that context, SignWriting does not
service the Deaf....SignWriting services anyone who uses a signed
language, both deaf and hearing.

You are right, that the mainstreaming schools are a complicated
situation because teachers do not have the support of their
administrators to try and experiment with new ideas...but what about
the parents? you could start a class with signing families...the
children and the parents in the family, both deaf and hearing...to
learn to write the language they use daily...and that will not impose
problems on the schools for now...Their class project could be to write
the Goldilocks story from videotape - ha!

Those are some of my thoughts...Thanks so much for sharing with us,
Louis-Felix! I hope some of your fellow signwriters will join our List
and ask questions anytime!

Val ;-)