[sw-l] NEW PROJECT: Writing ASL Poetry from Video Clips on Web

Wed Nov 3 17:07:06 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
November 3, 2004

Dear SW List Members:
We are very lucky people, because we can communicate with each other. I
am grateful for your participation. I think it is time that our List go
back to learning SignWriting together...Don't you agree?

I am proposing this project:

Transcribe a video of Deaf poetry...I have a poem I want to transcribe
into SignWriting, signed in ASL by Kevin Clark. I will post small video
clips of the poem on the web, and then we can write the movements of
ASL together on the List...You do not have to know ASL, to be able to
write it from video clips....

I do have one question regarding video formatting...

I noticed that the Flemish Sign Language Dictionary's video clips are
the .mov format, which is read easily on my computer with a QuickTime
plugin. They are excellent video clips. Can everyone read those video
clips, even if you do not own QuickTime? Is the .mov format readable by
everyone? I do not know how to make the .wmv format...so I do need some
advice...

What do Windows people need to view a video on the web?

Please go to this web page to see if you can view the Flemish video
clips...

Flemish Sign Language Dictionary
http://gebaren.ugent.be/alfabet.php

Click on a word, and you will see both the SignWriting and the video
clip for each sign...