[sw-l] introducing SW to Northern Ireland

Shane Gilchrist Ó hEorpa shane.gilchrist.oheorpa at FRANCISMAGINN.ORG
Sun Nov 7 12:00:30 UTC 2004

Sandy,

the BDA will set up a new examining board (which is ironic as they did set
up CACDP 10-15 years ago!) - to be called the Institute of BSL. It's going
to be very ugly.

As for the CACDP examinations in NI, they tend to use local examiners
therefore the focus is on NI Signs (or Belfast Signs I tend to say) so in
some way, NISL is promoted yet riding on the back of "BSL"

The thing is that we dont have any proper university research on this.

The SLCB will work with the local examining board in introducing a school
qualification in NISL/ISL - still in negotations. It is important for the
school examinations boards and universities to take NISL & ISL on as modern
language subjects.

Shane