[sw-l] LESSONS in Transcribing a Poem from Video

Wed Nov 17 16:12:38 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
November 17, 2004

Charles Butler wrote:
> But because this is stills, not video, and the use of this lesson, I
> thought was to write what is "seen" (the orientation of the hands) not
> what is "felt" (as in grammar).  The concept "H" is a different
> handshape, orientation, and movement in LIBRAS, for example, so seeing
> a shape in isolation, and not knowing the context, I felt safer to
> write it expressive and its exact orientation as a "lesson in writing"
> not a "lesson in fingerspelling".

OK. I think we all need to realize that there IS a video posted on the
web for people to download and view and write from. I only created the
still photos to help people who have not downloaded the video.

And that was my next lesson...I want to show how different it is to
write from the still photos versus the video. So I would love it if you
would download the video, Charles...The video is very fast, but it is
great signing too...

Download Video of Poem
http://signwriting.org/lessons/transcribe/poetry/oneharbor/
oneharbor01.html

You will need a QuickTime player, which you can download too:
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/standalone/

And the transcription changes, the moment you see the video, because
the fingerspelling has some important movements that cannot be captured
in still photos...

So please try to download the video...can you do that Nancy?

Val ;-)

PS. I can try to create a smaller video just of the opening
fingerspelling and post that...