[sw-l] Verb Conjugations in American Sign Language (ASL) and others...

Cynthia Sheppard-Johnston,CSC cmjdis at RITVAX.RIT.EDU
Sun Nov 21 23:14:19 UTC 2004

Mr. Hoepleman --

There is a Sign Language Lingusitics list. Your question may be better
posed there. If you wish, I can do that for you. I will not submit it
without your permission.

Two books, you may want to look at are

American Sign Language, Baker and Cokely

American Sign Language Linguistics, (don't know off-hand, the book is at
home).

American Sign Language tends to set the tense and then anything after
that remains in that tense until the tense is changed. This is a very
simplisitic explanation for a very complex question. The other list and
other resources can fully explain how American Sign Language handles
verb tenses.

Cj