[sw-l] Questions about the development of SignWriting

Sat Nov 27 00:43:25 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
November 26, 2004

On Nov 24, 2004, Mo, Zhenyao wrote:
> I am curious about the development of this stunning SignWriting system.
> How long did it take you to develop it?
> What is the basic criteria behind it? For example, you choose these
> set of alphabets rather than others, and you express in this way
> rather than some other ways?

Hello Mo and Everyone -
Hmmm. These are good questions but hard to answer in a few words.

Have you read this?

SignWriting History
http://www.SignWriting.org/library/history

There is an article about the evolution of writing styles in the
history section...

and...

---------------------

SIGNWRITING QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS, Directory
http://signwriting.org/about/questions/questions.html

One of those questions is:

How Are SignWriting Symbols Invented?
The inventor discusses the creative process
of developing symbols used around the world...
http://signwriting.org/about/questions/quest013.html

I would read all of the questions and answers too...

Now that you have a reading assignment - grin - write again if you have
more questions! smile...