[sw-l] Biography

Sandy Fleming sandy at FLEIMIN.DEMON.CO.UK
Tue Oct 5 12:52:22 UTC 2004

Hello again all!

OK, this morning I had a look at the Mundschrift pages online because I really need to be able to do lip patterns to be able to write BSL the way people really speak it.

I've adapted the Mundschrift to suit simple representations of English lip patterns (but with a Scottish accent!), and written this simple autobiography (which is what I was originally trying to write before I was stalled by problems with fingerpellling and lip patterns).

As you see from the bio, I was born near Edinburgh, but I don't know what the BSL sign for Edinburgh is, because I didn't start learning BSL until after I moved to Wales. Instead, I've put the way I've seen deaf people down here in Somerset signing it - by mouthing Edinburgh while signing "Scotland".

Since this is printing by hand, I haven't written all the head circles for the Mundschrift, just the first one. Of course in computer output this would have the full head repeated every time. The one with the square mouth isn't in Stefan's system but I invented it to represent the "eh" sound of a Scottish accent as in "'E'dinburgh" or "Somers'e't".

There's bound to be mistakes, but never mind, it's getting there!

By the way, the blue vertical lines are guidelines I drew with a ruler to keep things under control. Has anybody designed "ruled paper" for SW? Ideally it would be vertical light blue lines like I've drawn plus a faint blue line running down the sentre of each column to help position the head and hands when symmetrical. I also think it's better for vertical writing if the page is landscape rather than portrait.

Sandy