[sw-l] Limitations on size of attachments....

Tue Oct 5 15:13:34 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
October 5, 2004

Dear SW List, Fernando, Sandy and Everyone!
Please forgive my announcing the bounced messages to everyone...but
lately I have been getting so many wonderful messages that are
bouncing, and it appears to be directly connected to the size of the
graphic attached. So I went into an area on the web where managers are
allowed to change settings for their Lists, and I noticed that the
setting for message size is 40000 characters, but there is no setting
for attached graphics that I could find....so I will research this. It
may be that if I can increase the number of characters it might give us
more memory for graphics, but I don't know yet...

Sandy Fleming wrote:
> After your suggestion of an approximately 30K limitation, I sent a
> 29Kb gif
> this morning which didn't work.

Yes. I saw that bounced message but then you reposted and it worked,
right?...

> So far the largest I've sent successfully is 26Kb.

Interesting. Thank you for that information!

> Three things I do to reduce size in PaintShop Pro are:
>
> 1. resize the gif to make it smaller (Image -> Resize);
>
> 2. reduce the number of colours (Colors -> Decrease Color Depth);
>
> 3. crop (this is an icon on the toolbar).
>
> Obviously, lots of people know this stuff, but this might help some.
>
> I think there are some "Prepare for the Web" things as well, but I
> never use
> them - I like to have control!

Yes. Thanks for these suggestions. I think what confuses people is that
this is not the web, but email, and when we send to each other
individually, most people can accept larger graphics in their email.
But managing a public List is different than sending a graphic to a
friend...and we are limited by the settings in the List management
software...so I will research this and get back to all of you...

Meanwhile, Fernando, I will be happy to repost your message if you
would like...it is a great message!! Many congratulations on your
amazing work...