[sw-l] BRAZILIAN SIGN LANGUAGE ENCYCLOPEDIA, Volume 1

Wed Oct 6 03:47:32 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
October 5, 2004

Fernando Capovilla wrote:
> The Volume 1 (EDUCATION) of the BRAZILIAN SIGN LANGUAGE ENCYCLOPEDIA
> has just
> been released. It is divided into 2 parts. The first one (pages 1-300)
> describes all Libras
> signs pertaining to Education (along with the SW rendition of each
> one). The
> second one (pages 301- 678) describes a comprehensive standartization
> study in
> which 1.158 Brazilian deaf students (aged 6-45, from 6 elementary
> schools) were
> assessed in a thorough battery made of 11 language development tests.
> Volume 1
> maps the development of signing, reading, and spelling skills from 1st
> to 11th
> grade. In addition to that, volume 1 describes all the 11 tests along
> with
> standartization and cross-validation data. Now, thanks to that, we are
> finally capable of assessing the impact of different
> teaching methods and materials (including SW, of course!) on the
> development of
> signing, reading, and spelling skills!

----------------

Hello Fernando!
Congratulations on the new publication. It looks very impressive!!

It is exciting that SignWriting is in this new book. You conducted
tests to see the impact of SignWriting on student's reading skills?
What were the results? smile...Or is the mystery only solved if I get a
copy of the book? Ha! smile...I will definitely get a copy, but I would
also like to hear what happened in regards to that issue, since some
people ask me if we have proof or statistics on the success of
SignWriting in the classroom...

Thank you for sharing with us, Fernando!....It is quite exciting...