[sw-l] SignPuddle

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Oct 8 20:45:38 UTC 2004

Suggestion.

A function for email or phrasing that works from the "definition" line rather than the name of the sign.  There are several signs for madre, padre, and verde and it would be nice if the email utility would bring up all variants so one could choose from the "definition" line as the gloss rather than the name.

I am naming all of my signs as NAME-1 as I know that almost all of them have a variant somewhere else in Brazil, and I'd rather not presume that the sign I write is the only one.

Charles Butler

Stephen Slevinski <slevin at PUDL.INFO> wrote:
Hi Stuart,

I've thought of writing such a library, but I am not sure of the interest.

There is the broader topic of what is the best way to use SignWriting on websites.  There are several approaches we could use.

HTML Hardcode
Send yourself an SW email using the online images checkbox.  Copy and paste the HTML code.

PHP Function
Requires PHP installed on server.  This would be the translate function you describe.  Pass the langauge and the gloss.  Should also pass the style (horizontal or verticle), or use two functions.

Other CGI
Same as above, but in ASP or Perl or ...

Javascript
Create a Javascript function that would generate the SignWriting.  This would not require any special installation on the server.  This would require Javascript on the client.

Gloss vs SWML-S
Should these functions accept gloss or use SWML-S?
For dictionary entries that were created with the new SignMaker, I can output SWML-S.  For the other sign entries I can not.  The ASL dictionary needs to be almost completely rewritten, over 3000 signs.

Gloss can be used immediately, but SWML-S is the superior solution.  SWML-S will properly display verticle writing with the head in the center.  (I can even include lanes.)

SWML-S can be built from the dictionary, but does not depend on the dictionary.  In a few months, I hope to have a working version of Movement Writer available as a Java Applet that will output SWML-S.

Anyway, there are many options, but what is needed and what will be used?  I'm willing to write the code, not because it is possible, but because it will be used.

Seriously, who needs what?  Speak up and you may get it.
-Stephen