[sw-l] BELGIUM: New SW Literacy Project and new web area...

Wed Oct 13 16:47:50 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
October 13, 2004

Kathleen Heylen wrote:
> My name is Kathleen Heylen and i'm a motivated teacher from Belgium. I
> work in a bilingual school for d/Deaf children in Brussels, our
> beatiful capitol ;o)
> I started to use SignWriting with my pupils last year and it was an
> amazing experience for the children and for me too. Suddenly Flemish
> Signlanguage became more clear, and a full and worthy language. Just
> like our majority 'spoken' language, Flemish. I hope to learn more
> about SignWriting and how other teachers in different country's use
> it. Not only that, i really wanted to see something about Flemish
> signlanguage and SignWriting on the internet ;o)
> Greetings, Kathleen Heylen

--------------

Dear SW List, and Kathleen!
Thank you for this description of your school in Brussels. And welcome
to the SignWriting Literacy Project!

Because our List members are from 27 countries, perhaps you could tell
us first, a little bit about Belgium, and the signed languages of your
country?

In the city of Brussels, they generally speak French, is that right?
But your school for the Deaf in Brussels, is bi-lingual....Do you mean
two signed languages? one for the French speaking part of Belgium, and
one for the Flemish (Dutch) speaking part of Belgium? Smile...I know I
ask a lot of questions...but I personally am interested too...I visited
Belgium several times while I lived in Europe years ago, and it is such
a beautiful and multi-lingual country!

As you know, there are already some groups in the Flemish speaking
section of Belgium using SignWriting, so we can also put you in touch
with several groups. Maybe they will want their projects listed on the
new Belgian web area I am creating for your school...

And way back in time...in the mid 1980's, we were also working briefly
with a group in the French speaking section of Belgium...they used
SignWriting and I even created a version of the SignWriter DOS computer
program just for them...so I will also try to place that history on the
Belgian web pages too...