[sw-l] Need Egyptian SL Resource

Sat Oct 16 00:08:43 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
October 15, 2004

 >>Romy Spitz wrote:
I writing on behalf of Karen Tinsley.  Karen is looking for Egyptian
Sign Language Resources for a youth who recently moved from Cairo to
the US.  We had hoped that there would be a dictionary in the
signwriting dictiionaries, but found none.  If anyone has any
resources, names of contacts, etc. please let us know.  Karen is
ktinsely at comcc.org

-----

Dear SW List, and Romy -
I have two contacts for writing Egyptian Sign Language, but neither are
in the United States. Here is the first one (see old message below from
Samy in Egypt):

------

From: "ASDAA Association for Serving the Hearing Impaired"
<asdaa1 at hotmail.com>
To: DAC at SignWriting.org
Subject: requesting sign writing software
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001

Dear Sirs,
ASDAA' Association for Serving the Hearing Impaired is a non profit NGO
established by group of deaf, hard of hearing and specialsists in deaf
education aiming to improve the deaf education, rehabilitation, culture
and social situations.
At the present time we are going to established the first web site for
deaf in egypt, and we find that the system of SignWriting is suitable
for the egyptian deaf but for their egyptian sign language to use it in
emailling between deaf also to use it for the egyptian web site for
deaf....etc....

Yours faithfully,
Samy Saeed Mohammed Gamil
Chairman
ASDAA' Association for Serving the Hearing Impaired
62 street, No. 75, Sidi Beshr Qebly,
P.O.Box 2564 El-Saray, NP 21411,
Alexandria, Egypt
Phone : 002  03  5370277
Fax   : 002  03  5370277
Email : asdaa1 at hotmail.com

------

2. Second, Mohamed Mahmod from Jordan, taught SignWriting in Saudi
Arabia, with a group of teachers from the Arabic Nations. And some of
those teachers were from Egypt. Go to this web page:

SignWriting in the Arabic Nations
http://signwriting.org/arabia/arabia.html

I would suggest writing to Mohamed to ask if he knows of an Egyptian
Sign Language dictionary. I hope someday we will have that in
SignWriting!

Contact:
Mohamed Mahmod  Abushaira
m_abushaira at hotmail.com