[sw-l] Creating SWML-S with SignMaker

Sat Oct 16 03:25:17 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
October 15, 2004

Stephen Slevinski wrote:
> I am making progress with Movement Writer, but it is going to take a
> while.
> Meanwhile, there is still an immediate need to be able to produce
> SignWriting for website.  Glossing has proved inadequate.  Writing
> directly
> is SignWriting is best.  I hope that drag and drop is adequate

Hello Everyone, and Stephen!
THANK YOU once again for all you are doing...wow...

Here are some of my thoughts...

The SignMaker we have right now, on SignBank, is fabulous! I don't want
to lose its simplicity. It needs to remain clean, and easy to use, for
children and for those people who do not know code, and who think
visually, like me. I love the drag and drop...it is more than
adequate...it is just what we need for the web, for beginners, and for
people who cannot type...smile...

And even though we will be able to type in SignWriting with Movement
Writer someday, or with SignWriter DOS right now, we ALWAYS will still
want the drag and drop features of SignMaker...SignMaker should still
exist, even if Movement Writer exists, because different people need
different things...

And not everyone wants to read SWML or html either...So keeping many
programs offered to the public is important...SW-Edit and SignMaker are
two programs that have a different style to them....and the differences
are welcome...

I would like to make a suggestion...Can we give the program you mention
below, a new name?...Like SignMaker-SWML-S (or any name you wish)...and
keep it on a separate web page, either on Oculog.net or SignBank, but
totally separate...? That way the simplified SignMaker will remain
simple, and we can have some stability. I want to invite some new
editors to start working with SignMaker this weekend, and I personally
cannot do tech support for SWML!! Nor do I want to...

Then we can place an SWML button added to the SignMaker page, so that
an Editor who wants to work with SWML or html, can link to the
SignMaker-SWML-S page? That way, we will have two worlds, the simple
and the technical, side by side ;-)

So I am going to leave the SignMaker-SWML-S testing to others, as I am
really overbooked...Then someday, I hope someone will teach me what you
have decided - ha!

And thanks once again, Stephen, for all these options, which are truly
amazing...

Val ;-)